Saturday, October 31, 2009

Peanut Sesame Noodles



Another summer potluck, and I was worried that no one would bring a main course, so I decided to step up to the plate and make one myself. As it turned out, it was a good thing I did. I found this recipe while perusing SmittenKitchen.com, which my mother had suggested to me. I had been looking for a good peanut noodle recipe that wasn't too sour or vinegary, and I think the diversity of ingredients in the peanut sauce in this recipe achieve just that - a sweet and rich sauce with a little kick. I chose to use broccoli and snap peas, and I think they went well with the sauce and noodles, and of course the tofu adds some protein. In addition, this dish was so easy to prepare and great for a hot day when you don't want to turn on your oven. It is great for a potluck too - no need to refrigerate, best served at room temperature, and it's vegan, so it's likely to accommodate most dietary restrictions. In the end, it was a hit!

Peanut Sesame Noodles
Adapted from SmittenKitchen.com, from Gourmet, June 2002

Makes 6 side-dish or 4 main-course servings


Ingredients

For peanut dressing:
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 medium garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons Asian toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes or a splash of the hot sauce or chili paste of your choice

For noodles:
3/4 lb spaghetti
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups snap peas
2 packages firm or extra-firm tofu, cubed
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Preparation

Purée dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth, about 2 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.

Cook pasta in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until tender. Add broccoli florets and snap peas during last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain in a colander, then rinse well under cold water.

Add pasta, broccoli, snap peas, scallions, and tofu to dressing, tossing to combine. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment