Friday, October 9, 2009

Decadent Crustless Spinach, Onion, and Cheese Quiche



I needed something dairy for a potluck dinner I was going to, and I decided that a quiche would be appropriate, given the amount of time and ingredients that I had on hand. I've been making quiche for a while now, and I've always enjoyed it very much. In the past, I would always make it in a very health conscious way - using cottage cheese and other low-fat dairy products to make it full of protein and lighter on fat and calories, but still tasty. This time, though, I wanted something decadent. And I know this may come as a shock to many of you, but I'm really not a fan of crust. So I wanted a decadent, crustless quiche. And indeed, that is what I made.

Decadent Crustless Spinach, Onion, and Cheese Quiche
Adapted from Lillian Chou in Gourmet, March 2008

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons fine dry plain bread crumbs
1 cup chopped onion (about half a medium onion)
1 package frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung of excess water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 (8-ounce) package shredded Swiss cheese (2 cups)
5 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
½ teaspoon pepper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle. Butter a 10-inch quiche dish or 10-inch glass pie plate, then sprinkle all over with bread crumbs.

Cook onions in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 5 minutes. Combine with spinach. Spread in dish, then evenly sprinkle cheese on top.

Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, and pepper and pour over cheese. Bake until top is golden and custard is set in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges.





No comments:

Post a Comment