Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ceviche: Daring Cooks March 2011 Challenge


Kathlyn of Bake Like a Ninja was our Daring Cooks’ March 2011 hostess. Kathlyn challenges us to make two classic Peruvian dishes: Ceviche de Pescado from “Peruvian Cooking – Basic Recipes” by Annik Franco Barreau. And Papas Rellenas adapted from a home recipe by Kathlyn’s Spanish teacher, Mayra.

While the Papas Rellenas looked very tasty, I just wasn't able to find the drive to make it this past month. Hopefully, I will find an occasion to make it sometime soon. As it was, since only one of the two recipes was required, I went with the ceviche.

I had made ceviche before, and in fact, after having some amazing ceviche at Oyamel in Washington, DC, went on a ceviche recipe search several months ago. Not finding much online, I discovered two cookbooks: Ceviche! and The Great Ceviche Book. For this challenge, I decided to go with the recipe provided. I visited my fish monger to pick an appropriate fish and went with the mahi mahi, since that was what he recommended based on the criteria that it be boneless and fresh. I am torn about the use of the raw fish in the ceviche with regard to parasites - I am very averse to using defrosted fish, but I'm at a loss as to where to find sushi-grade fish that would be suitable for ceviche. As it is, I took my chances, and I still seem to be doing OK.

I liked how in this recipe all the marinade ingredients were combined and then tossed with the fish and the sliced red onions were placed on top only for the marinading process - I find they give the ceviche too harsh of a flavor when diced and added to the marinade. Since the recipe made enough for two pounds of fish, and I am only one person, I cut down the recipe by quite a bit and saved some extra marinade to make another serving another day with fresh fish. In hindsight, I should have set the extra marinade aside before added the cilantro, since it didn't hold up very well already mixed with the other ingredients.

All in all, I thought it was a tasty ceviche recipe, and I look forward to having ceviche again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment